Let’s have a few questions about the tools we use when we craft. Feel free to answer the questions with any craft in mind. Many people are multicraftual and would appreciate learning about things that would enhance their craft time.
- Is there a tool that you own that is your absolute favorite? Which is it? What did you use before you had that tool?
- Is there a tool that you bought that is way less useful than you hoped? Does it detract from your crafting?
- Is there a tool that other people think is necessary and you just don’t use it? How do you get around it?
- How do you store your tools? Do they have their own special space?
- My favorite tool is stitch markers. I have maybe a hundred of them. Some are plain plastic loops. Some are fancy dangling ones with beads. Any time I can use a stitch marker I do. They are both handy and pretty. Before I got store bought or homemade stitch markers I used to just tie a loop in yarn of a contrasting color. It’s what my mother and grandmother always did.
- I try not to buy tools. I’m the kind of person who makes do a lot of the time. Call me a frugal yankee but it’s limited my disappointment in gadgets.
- I used to block without a blocking mat. I didn’t think it was necessary. Mine still isn’t intended for blocking. I use padded floor squares. I used to just block on the floor on a towel or on a bed. Once I got the mat my blocking improved dramatically. I don’t think I could go back.
- I keep the small tools in a pouch in my knitting bag. The needles and other bigger tools are stored in small plastic tubs.