The other day I spent a bit of time cleaning out the stash. I hadn’t gone through the buckets in a while and knew there were things in there I wasn’t going to use. It was so much fun to revisit the lovely yarn that I liked enough to bring home but haven’t yet knit. This is the majority of what I like to call prime stash. There is a pretty good mix of single skeins and sweater quantities. Much is what I would consider to be workhorse yarn. There are a couple of skeins too pretty or special to knit. I did make a couple of observations as I was going through it.
- I like blue and gray. If you want me to buy your yarn those are the only colors you have to stock.
- I have less sock yarn than I thought. Yes, I was shocked too.
- I could knit for years with what I have. That isn’t going to stop me from buying yarn.
There is a subset of stash that I hold on to just because.
- Just because someday I might need it.
- Just because someday I might want to knit a bunch of baby things.
- Just because it was given to me.
- Just because I have it doesn’t mean I ever plan to knit it.
In the process of going through the stash I was able to photograph some of it for Ravelry so I’ll actually know what I have buried down there.I was also able to fill a couple of bags and pass those skeins on to someone who will knit them.