I am so thrilled with the way Celestarium turned out. I wish I could say the same thing about the photos. In the short time we had no rain H and I ran out to the patio and took these and to be honest, they’re lousy. They do give you an idea of the size though and that is part of what I was going for.
The pattern is so well written. I would love to knit it again but what I might do instead is knit Southern Skies, the companion piece. It is a view of the night sky from the south pole.
I did change a few things from the way the pattern was written. First I used lace weight yarn. I wanted something ethereal and that is what I got. I altered the edging too. I wanted some weight to keep it from flying away so I did a couple of rows of beads. Also instead of the edge as written, I did 5 rows of garter stitch. I then blocked it out to points instead of round. I had no way to stretch it and get it round but in the end I really like the points. They look like the rays on a star. The visible swirl is a happy accident. The yarn did that all by itself.
I will remember not to wear brightly colored fabrics when I wear the shawl. It really should be the center of attention.
If you’d like to read more FO Friday posts be sure to visit Tami’s Amis blog.