I am one of those people with a very low tolerance. It doesn’t matter what it is: cold, heat, lack of sleep, stupidity. I know this is genetic. It runs in my father’s family. We have a very low threshold before we lose it. I try very hard to counteract this tendency by being cheerful and pleasant and smiling. I do sometimes have to remind myself that there is a difference between smiling and just showing teeth to try to keep a civil tongue in my head. I have gotten fairly good at biting my tongue but when it happens too much that low tolerance level gets even lower and at that point all I can say is watch out.
Here are a few of the things that have sent me over the edge
- Holiday excess in all forms. I love the holidays as much as the next person but I don’t want Christmas music on November 1. Please if you must push it then November 25 is fine.
- Why would you need this when there are people in this world who have no food and no place to live? I love my dogs but the message this sends is just wrong.
- N wants a baby sister and he reminds me of this every freaking day. We have told him no, he has a big sister. We have told him when he’s older he can have a baby, when he’s 30 and married.
- N wants a kitten. NOOOOOOOOO! We have 3 dogs!
- A certain small cute dog peed on my bed again yesterday. It wasn’t discovered until bedtime when the bed had to be stripped and remade. Now I have 2 more loads of laundry to do along with the 3 that have to be folded and put away.
- The same small dog whined repeatedly from 2:30AM until 7:00AM. He was taken outside twice in that short time and hardly went. Why can he fully empty his bladder on my bed but not outside where he should? He’s now sleeping IN MY BED!
- I have a couple of neighbors who go to work very early. When I’m standing on the sidewalk in my sheep pajamas and winter jacket with my hair flying wildly in the breeze and you are stopped at the stop sign I am standing next to please return my wave. I know what I look like and that I shouldn’t be outside but it’s still dark and I’m going back to bed and anyway it’s rude when you turn your head and pretend you don’t see me.
- I haven’t started my Christmas shopping and honestly I don’t want to. We all have way more than we need. It is very difficult to buy gifts for people who want for nothing but don’t appreciate a charitable donation being made in their name. It’s worse when they complain about what you’ve given them.
Well I feel better. Now I can go out into the world and not hurt anyone.